Wednesday 18 December 2013

Top Tips - Shopping the Sales

It's so easy to get carried away with sale shopping. So many times I'll buy something just because it's less than half price and later on when I'm either looking through my day's purchase or clearing out my wardrobe a few months down the line I wonder why I bothered spending my money on something. Here are my top tips for smart sale shopping:

1. Ask yourself - 'Will I wear this?'

Seems an obvious one but think, do you have an outfit to go with your new dress/top/shoes/bag? Or will it stay in your wardrobe unloved? Or is it really your style or is the price just too tempting? No matter how much you'd love to wear sky-high heels or brightly coloured skinny jeans think about whether you'd actually wear them. Be honest and it'll save any regret.

2. Ask yourself - 'Do I need this?'

If, like me, you find yourself drawn to certain colours, shapes or styles make sure to think about whether you have something similar at home and whether you could better spend your money.




3. Ignore the amount of discount

This may se an odd one but imagine, for example, that a plain black pencil skirt is down from £300 to £150. A 50% saving, yes, but if the skirt wasn't in the sale would you have bought it full price at £150? If the answer is no: put it down. It's not worth it.

4. Be trend aware

Do your research. If you know that florals are going to be huge in 2014 keep your eye out for floral bargains in the sale. It doesn't matter if it's a dress that you'll only wear in summer, if you love it and the only thing stopping you from buying it is the weather then pick it up and head to the tills. You'll be thanking yourself come summer.

5. Buy your basics

There are some items that everyone needs in their wardrobe, a white t shirt, a pair of black heels, a statement necklace, underwear...the list goes on. Take the opportunity of the sales to buy them cheaply, don't be fooled by cocoon coats and sparkly heels, buy what you know you'll wear.



Take a look at my list of Christmas sales and see when and where you can pick up a bargain.

What do you do when you sale shop? Go crazy and buy everything in sight or analyse every item? Leave your comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment